Essex was selected as a Success Regime area because of increasing financial deficits and repeated shortfalls against some of the national service targets.
A diagnostic review in December 2015 identified the main priorities for system-wide improvement
Recommendations from the diagnostic review
The following top six areas for action were agreed on 1 March 2016:
• Address the clinical and financial sustainability of local hospitals
• Accelerate plans for changes in urgent and emergency care, in line with national recommendations
• Join up community-based services – GPs, primary, community, mental health and social care – around defined localities or hubs.
• Simplify commissioning, reduce workload and bureaucracy e.g.: reduce the number of contracts from over 350 to around 50.
• Develop a flexible workforce across disciplines, organisations and geographical boundaries.
• Improve information, IT and shared access to care records.